Saturday, August 10, 2013

Whiskey, Cheese, Fine Wine, Kris Kristofferson, and Muhammad Ali

Some things keep getting better with age.

I’ve lost count of the times I have seen Kris Kristofferson perform. I wasn’t a groupie but I never missed an opportunity when he came to town. The first time I had the pleasure, forty-something years ago, there were about ten of us present, sitting around a campfire with a couple of guitars for an unplanned evening of stories and music. Through the years, I saw him in large venues and small, stadiums and intimate club settings, indoors and out, with a band and alone. Last night, it was in an outdoor amphitheater, just Kris with his guitar, harmonica, love, and wisdom - and it was a huge slice of perfection.

I remarked the day before how odd it was to think a cold front had set in when the temperature dropped to the high eighties, and that I hoped the cool weather would stick around for the concert. The friend I was to go with informed me that this might not be such a good thing since the weatherman predicted severe thunderstorms with hail would accompany the cooler temperatures and hit about when the show started. That wasn’t going to stop us, though. We packed rain ponchos, towels, and changes of clothes, put our cameras in plastic bags, and headed out. Turned out the temperature was perfect and not a drop of rain fell.


Every time I see Kris Kristofferson, I say the same things - I think he sounds better than before, I can’t believe he can sing for hours and still not have time to sing all of the songs he has written, he is brilliant, no one can reach inside my body and squeeze my heart the way he does, and he has to be the most loveable, honest person alive. I said all of those things again this time, and more.

There was an extra special bonus this time. Kris was choked up and teary through the first couple of songs. Finally, he apologized and explained that it might take him a little while to overcome the excitement of just meeting one of his heroes. Muhammad Ali had come backstage to meet him before he came out, and he was overwhelmed with emotion. He choked up again explaining this.

At the time, I was excited for Kris and hoped Ali might peek out and wave. That hope didn’t last long because when I remembered what I know about The Champ, I knew seeking attention wasn’t his style. The years of boasting was part of the boxing show. The real man and hero is humble and gentle, with some wisdom of his own. “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” -Muhammad Ali

Later, the impact of sharing this little sliver of their lives hit me and melted my heart. It was such a thrill to know that these two men-- both of whom have enjoyed international fame and long lines of people waiting for an opportunity to meet, touch, and photograph them--still, in the later stages of their lives, have heroes who excite them. I feel totally honored to have witnessed anything so strikingly touching.


Kris is wearing his hair shorter and his face shows lines of wisdom, smiles, and some of the stories he sings but he is still gorgeous and his voice as strong and sexy as ever. He reined in his emotions after a few songs and delivered – as always – straight from his heart to ours. I was happy to see that that most of the people jumping out of their seats with uncontrollable adoration this time were young men. It was an enjoyable, emotional evening for everyone.

(I’ll forgive him for not singing my favorite of his songs (imbedded below) since it’s over eight minutes long, and this audience seemed too commercial to have anticipated it.)

 

No comments:

JCPS BusGate