Saturday, July 25, 2015

Your Green Is Showing





You can stand in front of your mirror and call that green reflection by my name for the rest of your life. You will still be you, I will still be me, and I have lost nothing.

At first, I laughed at the jealousy accusations. Later, the frequency of them annoyed me. Now that I have taken the time to consider why you make a claim like this, my pity is stronger than my laughter or anger. (But that doesn’t mean I am going to accept your ugliness.)

Jealousy is not foreign to me. I used my lifetime supply between 1969 and 1972. Three years of torturing myself with a useless, negative emotion was enough, especially when I realized that it was more likely to cause me to lose than protect what I wanted. With wisdom came freedom, something I will not give up for any person, thing, or talent. If you knew me at all, you would not make a fool of yourself by bringing this into question. You would also know that, even in my teens, I was wise enough to restrict my jealousy only to something I wanted. So far, the people you falsely state that I am jealous of have only demonstrated characteristics and abilities that I would work to rid myself of if I had them.

Envy is a different story. If you want to spread information about me, you are welcome to tell the world that I am envious. I have run across work that honestly makes me ache with envy (Joe Ferguson’s writing would be the most recent example, Barack Obama’s fortitude is the strongest, and my father’s ability to love the longest surviving). I suspect you will find it impossible to believe that, instead of wanting those people to disappear before anyone finds me falling short in comparison, I want them around to admire and learn from.

Envy, as I know it, is not a negative emotion. I appreciate people who give me reason to envy them.

Now that I have explained this in detail, I expect you to keep your green under control.

www.sandyknauermorgan.com

No comments:

JCPS BusGate