Friday, March 17, 2006

Application Denied

Occasionally, a doctor leaves a blank on the application, or forgets to include the CV, or proof of insurance or license. If everything else looks promising, I request the missing information – once.

If this applicant refuses to provide the missing information, I don’t spend months begging for it so I can make an informed decision. The applicant’s original failure to provide the routine information hinted carelessness. Refusal to honor my request confirms one or more of the following: the applicant is not interested in the position, the applicant has something to hide, the applicant is not qualified.

No one expects me to grant this applicant an interview; much less trot out on my own to search for the information he refused to provide. No matter how many of this friends and relatives vouch for him, his actions outweigh their biased confirmations of his character.

We, the people, are the employer. John Roberts is this incompetent applicant. His application should be denied the same as that of any other incompetent, disrespectful applicant.

~ ~ ~

I am the director of infection control in a highly respected hospital. While I’m away on vacation, an employee calls to tell me a significant number of patients have developed post-operative wound infections. Things are out of control and patients are dying. The public is outraged.

I swim a couple more days and take my time getting back. When I finally get there, I tell the patients on next week’s surgery schedule not to waste my time playing the blame game; I will appoint a task force to investigate the problem after the current patients die.

Reporters arrive. I dress my mother and three best friends in hospital gowns and smiles, and I pretend to console them in front of the cameras. I smirk at the public, and tell them I think I’m great and they should too.

I am a disgrace to my position and a danger to society. My employer should replace me immediately. We, the people, are the employer. George Bush is this incompetent director.

~ ~ ~

I work in the medical record department at this hospital. I’m part of the disaster team and needed when a disaster hits the city. We have an explosion and casualties are brought in on a Saturday. I am not scheduled to work on Saturday; besides, I don’t treat patients. I ignore that request and go to the mall instead.

Considering my lack of concern for society and my position, my employer should request my resignation, or let me go. We, the people, are the employer. Condaleeza Rice is the employee with inappropriate priorities.

~ ~ ~

My vacation time accrues in direct relation to the hours I work. Most days, I come in long enough to let someone see me, and then sneak out to ride my bike, play a game of golf, go home and visit friends, or just disappear without an excuse. I have actually worked less than a quarter of the time expected of my position, but insist I deserve comp time and take off a month each quarter. I am a dishonest, disgrace to the company and the stockholders.

We, the people, are the company and the stockholders. It’s time to clean house and protect or assets.

No comments:

JCPS BusGate