Friday, March 17, 2006

I Want Candidates Willing To Discuss Issues

I am not looking for a spouse, parent, teacher, or preacher. I don’t think being any or all of these things qualifies a person to represent my political interests, nor do I believe any of those titles tells me one thing I need to know about a candidate. Yet, I’ve answered the phone four times in the last few days to a recorded, “Hello, I’m Candidate Snowjob, a proud husband and father who regularly attends church,” or “Hi, I’m Candidate Snowjob from the other side, wife, mother, previous school teacher, with church experience.”

George Bush is a spouse and parent, who regularly attends church. He is also a liar, a cheat, a lazy employee who is away from the job more than on the job (for that, I guess I should be thankful), and he has never succeeded at anything in his life by my standards. Anne Northup is a wife, mother, previous school teacher, who regularly attends church and she apparently has no mind of her own. The intelligence level demonstrated in her form letters and speeches almost make me glad she’s a politician instead of sharing her knowledge with students.

If this is the best we have to choose from, I don’t want to vote. Isn’t anyone out there willing to tell me what he or she believes or will do if elected? If so, I’ll gladly listen to all you have to say, and respect you for your honesty. I’ll probably vote for you, even if I don’t agree completely with everything you believe, because I will at least trust and respect you. And that’s a lot more than the current candidates have earned from me.

No comments:

JCPS BusGate