Friday, March 17, 2006

Patriotism Without Compassion

A comment I heard on The View this week continues to haunt me. Writing might resolve my unrest, or open the topic for discussion that will help me explore it deeper.

Regarding Cindy Sheehan, The View regular, Elizabeth Hasselback (maiden name: Filarski, a former sneaker designer and contestant on CBS' "Survivor: The Australian Outback.") said, (paraphrased) I’m sure if I had a child or someone over there, I would do anything, but I don’t have anyone there. To provide a backdrop, and without going into detail, Elizabeth is not a fan of Cindy’s, and she frequently voices patriotism and support for the troops.

I don’t believe Elizabeth’s statement is unique, and that’s why I went from numb to haunted. I use her as an example because she offers her public opinions daily so it seems fair to let her statement work as the catalyst for a much bigger point, involving a number of people.

I can’t fathom a level of patriotism that allows detachment from the men and women who are fighting our wars. I choose those words in an attempt to be fair to Elizabeth; they aren’t men and women to me. They are kids. The dozen or so I’ve spoken with recently are younger than my daughter. And it breaks my heart to say our war, even though I have to take responsibility for what my country does in my name. While Elizabeth supported our invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, I opposed going in and haven’t changed my mind for a second since.

Admittedly not fair, in my heart, that makes it her war and my kids. Her insensitivity to anyone who doesn’t ‘belong to her’ precludes, or negates her professions of patriotism and support. We The People are the country. Anyone who can’t love the people, especially those giving their lives and children, has no claim to patriotism in my opinion.

Is it possible to be patriotic without compassion?

No comments:

JCPS BusGate