Friday, March 17, 2006

Wake Up, Democratic Party

January 24, 2006

While working the 2000 election campaign, I lost patience with the large number of people who claimed there was no difference between Democrats and Republicans. Al Gore was a brilliant, successful, respectable, honest, prepared, articulate man, married to a strong, caring woman. George Bush, his tongue-tied, dishonest, uninformed, chemical abusing, pompous bully opponent who had never succeeded at any of the few things he had done in his life was married to a Stepford wife. How could anyone not see the difference?

In 2001, Paul Patton (then Governor of Kentucky) delivered a speech that confirmed my belief in the Democratic Party philosophy. His explanation of why he was a Democrat renewed my pride in the party. It also made me realize how my interpretation of the party philosophy, and my focus on particular candidates instead of the parties during the 2000 campaign, had influenced my narrowed view and confusion. Governor Patton’s words healed the wounds from the stolen election enough to break my immobilizing grief and launch my battle to spread the word and activate my fellow Democrats.

Unfortunately, the Democrats seem to have cast their philosophy and Governor Patton aside about the same time. Today, I have a hard time seeing a respectable difference in the two parties. The Republicans might be leading in the race to corrupt our constitution and culture, but the Democrats share equal responsibility through their willingness to roll over and let it happen.

I’m grateful to Al Gore for his call-to-arms speech. I appreciate Senators Byrd, Kennedy, Feingold, Leahy, Representatives Murtha, Kucinich, and Pelosi, and others who have bravely stood up against the Republican take-over of most everything I hold dear. I’m disgusted with the media for not giving the Gore speech the attention it deserves, disappointed in the overwhelming number of Democrats who won’t support those who bravely try to lead, and sickened by those who apologize for their actions. I want to think some are just confused, believing nice is a requirement or virtue, when in truth nice and diplomacy are totally separate practices. Being nice at the wrong time, or with those who will exploit it is not a virtue; it is a cowardly concession. Sadly, I believe many have played the twisted Republican game so long they can’t remember the original rules.

I feel betrayed by my Party. On the whole, they give me Republican candidates disguised as Democrats, from the top down to the LD chairs and precinct captains. I don’t have a voice. Northup, McConnell, and Bunning embarrass or anger me every time they speak for me. They discard my opinions by responding with form letters that reflect no consideration for my intelligence or my opinions. Many Democrats in Washington forget how their opinions and votes affect all of us. They reject letters from anyone outside their states. The Executive branch bans me from their speaking engagements and won’t allow me to protest in their range of vision. I can’t afford to hear most Democratic politicians speak, much less offer my questions or opinions. My vote doesn’t count, and my Party concedes elections while voters remain in line to grovel for their right to cast a vote that probably won’t count anyway.

The political focus is on money, sex, a religion I want no part of, and keeping up with the Republicans in their game, with few representing what I consider the Democratic promise to protect individual choices or rights. In my opinion, the Democrats sold their souls along with the Republicans, ignoring those with the least money or power.

I want candidates who honestly respect what the Democratic Party stands for, and who are passionate enough to stand for what they believe. I want candidates who will not try to sermonize or buy their way into the popular clique. I’m tired of voting for Democrats who do not represent me, and will soon stop supporting a Party that has forgotten the things that truly are important to the people. The Democrats I know care about jobs, healthcare, and education. We don’t care about the sex lives or religious beliefs of others, and we know the only country threatening and mutilating our freedom is this one. And we don’t want the blood of the world on our hands.

Enough is enough. Give ‘we the people’ the catalyst we need to win this war on our country.

No comments:

JCPS BusGate