Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dear Girl In the Red Convertible

Dear Girl In the Red Convertible,

I know you haven't seen me in thirty-three years but something tells me you remember me as well as I do you. If I knew how to contact you in person, I would apologize face-to-face, since that's how I delivered my low blow.

My only attempt at an excuse is that I was with Paula, whose laugh is one of the most wonderful sounds on earth. She has a unique combination of a melodious belly laugh and giggle. Once she gets started, you think she might never stop and just have to join her. Still, what I did is inexcusable, because Paula would laugh at most anything. I could have encouraged her without hurting you.

I did not know your boyfriend. I had never seen either of you before. There you were, making out at the red light, and I just lost control. The convertible made you so approachable. Before I knew it, I jumped out of the car and delivered my Academy Award winning performance, surprising myself with the tears.

He told you the truth when he said he didn't know me. I didn't really catch him at anything; I broke up with a perfect stranger. I hope he convinced you later.

My greatest wish is that the two of you eventually got married and are living happily ever after. Maybe you are even laughing about this.

Sincerely,
Sandy

No comments:

JCPS BusGate