Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ethics, Morals, Honesty - Seven syllables, three words, carrying the weight of the world

Most of us would probably agree that truth is delivering honest statements. Beyond that basic definition, I believe concurrence falls apart rather quickly.

Some believe truth is not necessary if it will hurt another's feelings, threaten their own popularity, or cause financial loss. Others don't consider withholding fact or failure to challenge false information abuses of truth. In addition, many exempt behavior and actions from requisite truth. Even more confusing to me are those who have others deliver their false information, thinking that somehow protects them from accepting responsibility for their dishonesty. In other words, truth is only important to many people when it is convenient or profitable.

To me, truth is not limited to delivering honest statements. It is living honestly, by the same set of morals and principles every day, in every situation, with everyone. Morals are the set of principles by which I live my personal life. Ethics are how I apply those morals in my interactions with others and the world.

If my daughter comes in and sings a song off-key, or my grandson fails to wipe the milk off his upper lip, I am dishonest if I tell the daughter she sounds great or the grandson he looks fine. If I believe Wal-Mart practices are abusive to employees and communities, and I choose to shop there anyway, I have neglected my principles and I am amoral. If I profess to care about a person yet go into the world and make decisions that harm that person, I am unethical.

In my opinion, standards don't come on a sliding scale. It is not okay to misrepresent myself on a message board any more than it would be acceptable to use false information when applying for a job. Unless I apply the same standards to everyone I meet, I am dishonest and unfair to both sides because I have blurred the truth for everyone.

I see blurred lines everywhere around me, and believe this collective weight is harming all of us.

No comments:

JCPS BusGate