Tuesday, January 30, 2007

He Deserves Better

"Come on. He deserves better."

"Don't you think I know that?"

"If you know it, why don't you let him go?"

She releases her hair, lets it fall over her face, stalls, wants to escape his eyes. He holds the pressure, refuses to smile, obviously expects an answer. "I've tried, I've done everything possible to push him away."

"You're breaking him. He really doesn't deserve this pain."

"I really don't deserve this pain, either." Was that defensive, or pitiful? She replays, analyzes, can't decide. "I don't want to be this way."

"He loves you too much."

"I know that." Defensive. No doubt. Too much love is the problem. What can she do with too much?

"I told him to divorce you." He loses the attitude. "Sorry. That's what he needs to do."

Tears. Always tears when she wants them least. "Don't be sorry. I tell him the same."

"Then why do you keep coming back? You confuse him. Give him hope."

"You really don't get it." Screw the tears. She glares back through the steady stream.

Finally, he looks away, sighs, maybe he wants to understand. "Why the hell do you keep hurting him?"

"I always think I can do it this time. One more chance and I'll get it right. But I don't."

He comes back with cold eyes. "I don't like you right now."

"No problem. I don't like me right now."

"You won't change, will you?"

"Someday. Probably not soon enough to save his broken heart."

He acts human, places his hands on her shoulders, and pleads with his eyes. "Let him go."

Her throat closes. She nods.

"Make him hate you so he can move on."

She closes her eyes, doesn't care about the tears that continue to pour, nods again.

"Promise?"

She dies inside, whispers, "Promise."

His hug feels sincere. She walks away, buries her love deeper. He deserves better. She can't handle too much.

No comments:

JCPS BusGate